Home Preparation Tips
You only get one “first impression.” Most homebuyers begin their search by looking at photos on the internet. Whether a potential buyer takes that next step of visiting your property often depends on that first impression. Here are a few tips to help make your property shine!
- Clean entire house – vacuum, mop floors, dust surfaces
- Clean all windows
- Turn on all overhead lights and lamps
- Replace any burned out bulbs
- Turn off ceiling fans
- Turn off TVs and computer screens
- Raise or open all window coverings
- Place clothing in closets
- Tidy up landscaping – rake leaves/rocks, mow lawn, trim shrubbery
- Remove vehicles from drive and front of home
- Close garage doors
- Remove water hoses, gardening tools, trash cans, toys, etc.
- Clean up pet waste
- Remove unnecessary clutter from porches
- Remove empty planters
- Clear all countertops
- Remove papers, photos, magnets from refrigerator door
- Empty kitchen sink of dishes
- Dust/polish tabletops – use decorative placemats/centerpiece if available
- Arrange chairs evenly around tables
- Remove unnecessary clutter/personal items
- Dust/polish all surfaces
- Clean fireplace or wood-burning stove
- Remove personal photos
- Make beds
- Straighten pillows, bed skirts, etc.
- Remove any visible items protruding from under beds
- Remove personal items from dressers and nightstands
- Clear counters of toiletries, soap, toothbrushes, medications, etc.
- Close toilet lids
- Place fresh roll of toilet tissue
- Remove personal items from showers and tub areas
- Put out fresh, neatly arranged towels
- Store pet food bowls and water dishes
- Remove any pet beds, food bags, toys, etc.
- Clear yard areas of pet waste and toys